Friday, November 20, 2009

The first collaboration.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, I studied film at university. Given that half the people in my group usually didn't do anything other than turn up at the first and last class of each semester, I'd usually rope in friends who didn't even attend my uni to work with me on my videos.

It is for this reason that many of my uni films star Mr Gregory Bricknell (studying at Swinburne at the time) and feature collaborative efforts with Mr Trevor Matthews, my dear Excordis collaborator. And thank god for them, otherwise I would have been producing most of my videos entirely by myself.

This video from the archives (circa 2003) was the very first film I had to make at uni, the criteria being that it had to be some kind of instructional video. My group was largely crap and did nothing; I wrote the basic script, arranged the shoots and filmed the whole thing, Greg and I came up with most of the scenarios ourselves, Greg recorded the music, I did the edit, and Trevor (who was working full time) popped into the edit suites to improvise a voice-over. We used the first and only take.

Despite its slapdash nature (hey, it was first year...), it's still a pretty funny film - and a bit of a precursor to 'Pisces, Arise!' in that it's the first filmic collaboration between T-Dex and myself.

Also, it's the only time in my life that I've EVER had the justification for using a starwipe. And that's important in itself.

Enjoy.


2 comments:

  1. I must say it was bloody funny, but mostly for the amount of hair still on Greg's head, the Hitchcock style cameo, and of course the star wipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "In a galaxy far far away..."
    If I remember correctly, George Lucas made good use of the wacky wipe in Episode IV: A New Hope. Actually, I think he went all out and used every available wipe at the time!

    And remember executive producer Vader's warning to the smug gen Y imperial officer in that project development meeting: "Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've
    constructed. The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Star Wipe."

    ReplyDelete