Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Attack of the Giant Jellyfish!


If you've checked out the Pisces, Arise website (and I sure hope you have!), you'll notice that the background image is a rather cool etching of a giant sea monster attacking a ship.

Like most mythological creatures, sea monsters (in all their varying forms) were based on reality - namely, certain species of giant squid that frequent the deep and scary areas of the ocean.

I was therefore quite excited when an article entitled 'JAPANESE FISHING TRAWLER SUNK BY GIANT JELLYFISH' popped up in the British Telegraph.

It's pleasing to see that, even in this modern age, the sea monsters are still putting in a good effort.

2 comments:

  1. You really can't beat the ocean for visceral terror. Out of your natural element, with unknown toothy things swimming about beneath you.
    I was swimming at Red Bluff some years ago, and there was a pylon about 30 metres off shore you could climb up to dive from. Maybe about 2 metres above the surface.
    I was sitting on it once, watching the waves, thinking I should head off soon. I looked down as I stood up, ready to dive, just as a dark shadowy shape was gliding past. It was at least 4 or 5 metres long.
    Needless to say, I did not dive just then. I sat there for at least another hour, eying every shadow sideways, before I could convince myself to swim the 30 metres to shore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You chose wisely. It was probably some kind of hideous giant squid, as detailed in my next post. Terrifying.

    ReplyDelete